Terms For Service
1. These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by me, Teresa Lindeyer.
2. The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
3. I will provide copyediting and proofreading services as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
4. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
5. I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and for paying VAT (where applicable) and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees.
6. The Client will reimburse me for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
7. The Client will pay me the agreed fee as set out in a confirmation email prior to accepting the work.
8. The contract for services requires that the Client acknowledges in writing, via email, that they have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
9. The Client will pay me an agreed fee for the job, as agreed in writing.
10. Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with an invoice upon completion of the editing project.
11. Payment should be received within 30 days of receipt of the invoice according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
12. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
13. If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
14. Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
15. Prior to beginning the editing work, the Client and I will agree in writing, via email, the terms of the project to include:
• How the editing will be carried out:
➢ e.g. in MS Word, PDF or paper
➢ whether ‘track changes’ in Word, PDF mark-ups or BSI correction symbols to be used
• Length of time to complete the project, which will include:
➢ the date by which the material will be delivered to me by the Client
➢ the latest date by which the completed project will be returned by me to the Client
16. All content for the editing project as part of the copyediting/proofreading/project management process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
17. In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement against them.
18. If my work can be proven to be unsatisfactory, within reasonable terms, I will rectify it in my own time and at my own expense.
19. Either the Client or I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
20. The Client is free to cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice, via email, and I must confirm acknowledgement, via email, for this to be valid.
22. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales [or Scots or Northern Ireland law, as appropriate], and both Freelancer and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh [or Scots or Northern Ireland] courts.